The Ministry of Education of the Government of Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia has recognized the role ICT can play in the country’s educational system and has been implementing various projects throughout the Universities and secondary schools. As part of its continuing effort to support the educational system with ICT, the ministry has launched an initiative to build a Local Area Network (LAN) in the first phase for 120 secondary schools, each school laboratory equipped with a minimum of 40 computers throughout the country to make 5900 digitized satellite broadcast television programs, other educational contents and Internet access available at the premises of schools. The ministry therefore invites interested, qualified and experienced firms to present their proposed solution to the ministry.
The Government of Ethiopia has paid attention to the educational system in order to ensure access to educational opportunities through services such as centralized Distance Education (video broadcasting) and facilitating Internet access in the schools. To this end the government therefore has installed the necessary infrastructure on top of the Ethiopian Telecom (ET) physical backbone of the network for the project. ETC based on a contractual agreement with Hughes Network System (HNS) for the supply and installation of VSAT to around 1000 schools throughout the country, facilities are now available for connecting schools to the VSAT network. Currently the Ministry of Education is broadcasting video content from grade 9 to 12 for about 1000 schools.
However, along with the satellite broadcast system, it has found out that alternative delivering mode is necessary to fill the gap observed with broadcast system. The new system will not contradict but rather complement the broadcast programs.
According to the analysis results of requirement, e-Education solution needs to resolve the following issues:
- Provide network construction for school, including UPS, air condition, network switch, server rack and other network equipment’s.
- Provide network service for internet access, including Domain Name service (DNS) and DHCP (dynamic host configuration protocol).
- Provide terminal equipment for schools, including 10 fat client and 30 thin client.
- Provide anti-virus and anti-spay ware software for each client.
- Provide video on demand (VOD) system for students can access video content from the content server.
- Provide a suit of TV broadcast system for each school, including audio management system.