CENTER FOR EDUCATIONAL INFORMATION & COMMUNICATION TECHNOLGY
The Center for Educational Information & communication Technology (CEICT) is under the Ministry of Education catering quality education through electronic technology. The main purpose of the Center was to provide schools and development agencies with photographs, films, charts and posters. Thus, a year after the introduction of television in the country, using the transmitters and studio facilities of the Ministry of Culture and information, Educational television transmission began in October 1965 for high schools around Addis Ababa.
The Center, over the years has assumed different names; Audio-visual Center, Educational Media Agency (EMA) and now Center for Educational Information & Communication Technology (CEICT).
The Radio, which had a humble beginning, started the production and transmission of its programs via 16 transmission stations in 1971. During that time, Legedadi Radio Station Programs were one of the most popular programs which produced and broadcasted by the Center.
Currently, the main activities of the Center are: educational television programs production and transmission, e-learning contents development, and Cloud computing solutions for secondary schools.
Objectives: The Objectives of the center are:
- CEICT produces radio and television programs, for primary and secondary to reinforce and raise the QUALITY OF EDUCATION;
- CEICT gives professional consultancy and technical service for the regional governments, and non-government organization;
- CEICT conducts RESEARCH, evaluation and training in order to acquire quality equipment, its installation and maintenance, program production, dissemination and distribution and their proper utilization; and in order to alleviate inequitable media SERVICES throughout the regions, CEICT helps select appropriate and integrated media technology for the regional program production and utilization.
ACTIVITIES: The center carries out the following activities:
- Production and transmission of educational television programs for secondary schools. Currently programs based on revised curricula have been produced and broadcast for secondary schools In English, Amharic, Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Civic & Ethical Education, Geography, Economics, General BUSINESS and Technical Drawing.
- Digitize educational television and radio programs and dispatch to users in different formats (Web, DVD, VCD, MP3)
- Annually, produce and broadcast educational entertainment programs documentary films;
- English Interactive Radio Instruction (IRI) programs are produced for primary grades;
- Distributes teachers’ and animators; guides and broadcast schedules;
- The CENTER accomplishes the following specific activities:
- Radio program production, editing and duplication,
- Conducts radio, television program production trainings;
- Conducts program utilization and audio-visual equipment utilization training;
- Conducts transmission and studio control operators’ trainings;
- Renders CONSULTANCY SERVICES for those organizations which seek to establish audio visual centers,
- Gives access to its libraries for research purposes;
- Maintains radio, PLASMA TELEVISION, and other electronic equipment that are used by schools, government and non-governmental organizations;
- Lends and show educational, documentary and entertaining films, film slides and film strips;
- Step by step, ensuring quality and access to education by connecting all secondary schools with the central data server.
- Install and network high content servers with client computers for secondary schools;
- Enhancing internet services in all secondary schools of the country cooperating with Ethio-telecom and Regional Education Bureaus.
- Conducts program content and utilization evaluation activities;
- Conduct research to modernize educational ICT programs;
- Television program production, editing and duplication
- Documentary program production, editing and duplication.
- Digitization program production, editing and duplication
- Preparing specifications for production
- Measuring broadcasting limit.
- Installing production and dissemination equipment.
- Providing maintenance for production and dissemination equipment.
- Installing analog and digital production and dissemination equipment
- Providing training in utilizing analog and digital production and dissemination equipment.
- Providing training in radio program production and capturing
- Providing training in television program production and capturing.